By Dr. Marion Somers, Ph. D., Ask Dr. Marion

QUESTION: My uncle served America in WWII, but I don't have a clue about what benefits he might have from the government. How do I go about finding this out? Sassa in California, 59

ANSWER: The veterans of our country have served each and every one of us, and they are entitled to a variety of substantial government benefits. You can help your uncle by contacting the Veteran's Administration. You'll need your uncle's correct name, rank, service branch, and his dates of service. When any honorably discharged serviceman passes on, he or she is also entitled to a military service. This includes a coffin being draped with an American flag, a military service, and other dignified amenities based on rank and whether or not the military has resources available nearby to perform the honor. The sooner you get started, the sooner your uncle could benefit from what he's more than entitled to receive from our government.

©2006 Elder Health Resources of America, Inc.